Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Totally Awesome Ace of Cakes contest

October 20th I participated in a cake decorating contest which was judged by none other than Food Network's 'Ace of Cakes', Duff Goldman(http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_db or http://www.charmcitycakes.com/). The contest was part of a fund raiser for the Discovery Center Museum in Rockford, IL. A total of 60 cakes were entered with only 3 prizes to be had. Sadly, I didn't get one of those prizes, however would say I finished in the top 10. Not too shabby considering this is only the 6th or 7th cake I've ever made. Maybe I did so well because Hunter helped me with some of the bones.

Anyway, the rules were 1.) the cake couldn't be bigger than 24 inches x 24 inches (yes, mine was exactly 24 x 24), 2.) no heigh limit, 3.) must fit the theme of "Totally Awesome", and 4.) all exterior decorations MUST be edible. This was NOT your Mamma's cake decorating! Talk about 'non-traditional'!

Everything you see in the pictures is edible. If it is brown...it's chocolate so you can imagine how hungry we were having that thing in the car for transport! There was some pretty good competition and most of the people who entered were professional cake decorators with their own businesses. The grand prize winner had moving parts and lighted flowers in his cake. The 2nd place guy built a hot rod car which made noise, vibrated like it was running, and shot flames out of the exhaust pipes. I should have made mine motion sensitive so it roared when you walked past it. Good idea for next time!

The best thing about the entire experience was the lecture on Saturday. Duff critiqued each cake in the contest in front of an auditorium filled with 800+ people. When he got to my cake he suggested that everyone in the theater go and look at it because the detail was so wonderful. Excellent feedback and a huge ego boost for me, let me tell you!

Anyway, plans are in the works for the next cake I'm making. It will be Harry Potter themed for my friend's son's birthday and has already got sound and motion incorporated into the design. Now I just need to add some light somewhere and the boy will be the happiest 10 year old on the planet! I'll post pix when it's done.

Since the blog isn't cooperating tonight here is a rundown of the pix posted:
1.) General view of the cake just before we transported it.
2.) Close-up of the lower left corner
3.) Duff 'Ace of Cakes' Goldman signing autographs for Hunter and I
4.) Close-up of top layer
5.) Close-up of bottom front
6.) Close-up of upper left


























































2 comments:

Little Me said...

Deb,

In my book, you are definitely the Ultimate Cake Decorator Extraordinaire!!! I don't know what the competition looked like, but the judges must've been BLIND not to have awarded you the grand prize. The details that you had on your cake showed imagination and skill. Thank you for sharing the pics with me. Whenever I read your blog, I always know that I'm in for a big treat! And this was no different than what I expected :)))

Puddin's Love said...

You ACED this totally awesome cake!! Your talent speaks loud and clear. I agree with "little me", I can't believe those judges didn't at LEAST place your cake. Can't wait to see the next one. You deserved better. It's NUMBER 1 in my book!